- St John’s (Sinjuns) – named after the founder of the original school, Sir Walter St John.
- Bolingbroke – named after Sir Walter’s grandson Henry St John, 1st Viscount Bolingbroke.
- Spencer – after the later lords of the manor of Battersea, the manor having been bought from the last St John in 1763 by John, Viscount Spencer.
- Trinity – named after Trinity Church Clapham Common in the district.
In 1919 two additional houses were created:
- Erskine – after Canon John Erskine Clarke, a former vicar of Battersea and member of the Sir Walter St John Trust at the time of the establishment of the school
- Dawnay – after Sir Archibald Davis Dawnay, Mayor of Wandsworth from 1908 until his death on 23 April 1919 and a benefactor of the school.
House colours were and were displayed on the tie and the top of the school cap